If you're interested in exploring the outback on unsealed roads, renting a 4WD campervan is the perfect way to do so. However, keep in mind that it's not allowed to drive off gazetted roads, which are roads listed on a map or maintained by the council. In addition, access to some remote areas or islands is only permitted if you have prior permission from 4xploring Rentals and are driving a 4WD campervan.

We reserve the right to restrict your trip to certain areas for safety reasons, including access to islands via ferry. To ensure your safety, we will provide updates on road conditions at the start of your journey. If you need a permit for certain areas, we're happy to assist you with obtaining one. Please note that permission must be requested at the time of booking and can be withdrawn at the time of pickup.

Only with prior permission may you travel to:

  • Any island
  • Kangaroo Island (SA)
  • The station access road to Red Bluff on Quobba station (WA)
  • The Holland Track (WA)
  • Bungle Bungles (WA)
  • Cape Leveque (WA)
  • Kalumburu Road (WA)
  • Warburton Road (WA)
  • Oodnadatta Track (SA)
  • Birdsville Track (SA)
  • Simpson Desert (NT, SA)
  • Tanami Track (NT, WA)
  • Gibb River Road (WA)
  • Plenty Highway (NT)
  • Finke Road (NT)
  • Central Arnhem Road (NT)
  • Arnhem Land in general (NT)
  • Gunbarrel Highway (WA, NT)
  • Any other remote areas